04 August 2014 @ 11:34 pm
Finished corset!!!  
Drumroll please, I finally finished it. It fits like a glove. It held up great on Sunday until just before church. I was in the bathroom and saw a couple of bones showing at the bottom. I think interlining the fashion fabric next time might be the solution.


Here is the version I wore to church.


Here is the ammended version.
 
 
 
( 15 comments — Leave a comment )
Annarabid_bookwyrm on August 5th, 2014 02:37 pm (UTC)
Is the blue binding to help with poke through?
treblehearttrebleheart on August 5th, 2014 05:06 pm (UTC)
The blue ribbon in picture 2 is to help with that. So far, that seems to be working. What I think happened was that the fashion fabric was a shirting flannel. I'm going to try interlining it next time I work with a fabric like that.
Annarabid_bookwyrm on August 6th, 2014 02:07 am (UTC)
Flannel is usually very soft, yeah. Even interlining with a firm cotton muslin might help.
treblehearttrebleheart on August 6th, 2014 05:03 am (UTC)
I think I will try that, doing some webbing where the binding is, or doing some interfacing and twill next time I work with a flimsy fabric for my fashion fabric.
Annarabid_bookwyrm on August 6th, 2014 03:40 pm (UTC)
You know, the other solution is to use bone casing tape. That should keep the bones totally under control without relying on the fashion fabric at all.
treblehearttrebleheart on August 6th, 2014 04:43 pm (UTC)
Were you thinking as an external boning channel or sewn underneath the lining?
Annarabid_bookwyrm on August 8th, 2014 04:23 am (UTC)
I would stitch the bone casing tape to the coutil structure on the "wrong" side (seam allowance side, presumably to be sandwiched inside the final corset) and then lay the fashion fabric shell over the coutil base. The channel stitching would show on the inside, but not the channels themselves.

If you want to flatline the fashion fabric with coutil, you could still stitch the bone casings on to the coutil before you flatline.
treblehearttrebleheart on August 8th, 2014 05:12 am (UTC)
Ok. That sounds like something that might help. The ribbon has been helping for the most part. There are still a couple of area that seem to need reinforcement. The rest has not even tried to do it. I did notice that it is the flat steels that seem to be the worst about it. What I did do when I initially put them in was try to slip the bones between the two layers of coutil for the bones that went on the seams. I think there might have been one or two that weren't done that way. I know there really isn't anything I can do about the bone casing tape now, but it does give me something to think of for the next time.
Annarabid_bookwyrm on August 10th, 2014 12:45 am (UTC)
Indeed - I wasn't suggesting it as a fix for this one, but something to maybe use next time.
treblehearttrebleheart on August 10th, 2014 12:51 am (UTC)
That's what I did mean. Sorry for the confusion.
Carlton W. Terrydcwttaoo1 on August 5th, 2014 05:06 pm (UTC)
Great colors.
treblehearttrebleheart on August 5th, 2014 05:08 pm (UTC)
Thank you. I also custom dyed my laces to be blue.
Carlton W. Terrydcwttaoo1 on August 6th, 2014 07:04 am (UTC)
That is truly awesome. good job!
Sparkysherwood21 on August 5th, 2014 06:56 pm (UTC)
The fit on that IS fantastic - nice!
treblehearttrebleheart on August 5th, 2014 07:02 pm (UTC)
Thank you. I took my own measurements and drafted the pattern off of that.
( 15 comments — Leave a comment )